We have a computerised registration system.
* On the first day of absence please telephone the school office before 10.00am to explain the absence.
* If we do not hear from you the school will then contact you as a matter of health and safety.
* On your child’s return to school please send in a note to the teacher, if you have not telephoned the school. This information is logged on the computer.
We ask that dental/doctor appointments be made outside of school times where possible. If you do need to take your child out during the school day, please let the school know in advance, and collect him/her from the school office. No child will be released to attend an appointment unless they are collected by an adult.
The education(pupil registration) (England) (amendment) regulations 2013, which came into force on 1 September 2013, removed references to family holidays and extend leave as well as the national threshold of ten days. The amendments made clear that head teachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless ‘exceptional circumstances’ exist. The regulations also stated that head teachers should determine the number of school days a child can be away from school if leave is granted for ‘exceptional circumstances’.
The school will take the student’s previous record of attendance into account when making any decision to grant absence for a pupil.
The school follows these guidelines in considering any request for absence.
- The decision to authorise absence is at the Head of School’s/Executive Headteacher’s discretion based on their assessment of the situation.
- Term times are for education. This is the priority. Children and families have 175 days off school to spend time together, including weekends and school holidays. Our default school policy is that absence will not be granted during term time and will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances.
- If an event can be reasonably re-scheduled outside of term time then it would not be normal to authorise absence.
- Absence during term time for holidays/vacations is therefore not considered an exceptional circumstance.
- Absences to visit family members are also not normally granted during term time if they could be scheduled for holiday periods or outside school hours.
- Absence for a bereavement of a close family member is usually considered an exceptional circumstance but for the funeral service only, not extended leave.
- Absences for important religious observances are often taken into account but only the ceremony and travelling time, not extended leave. This is intended for one off situations rather than regular or recurring events.
A Leave of Absence request form is available from the school office.